JO BETH DARBY – Cross Country, Track & Field
- What are your plans for 2020-21? I plan to major in kinesiology at Anderson University and later become a speech pathologist.
- What is your favorite memory from your time as an Emerald athlete? I have made so many great memories as an Emerald athlete that it is difficult to pick a favorite. One of my favorite memories in track was winning an 800m race as my entire team cheered me on. I ended up falling at the finish line and won by a fraction of a second. Afterwards, my teammates congratulated me and made me feel as though I had positively contributed to the team.
- Team Highlights: Yes! We have won Region in XC for the past two years. We have also qualified for state both of those years.
- Individual Awards: I have won individual awards as an All-Region and All-county XC athlete within the past two years. I have also won the Coaches’ award for XC and Academic Award for both XC and Track.
- What is your advice for the teammates who will play on your team next season? Don’t put too much pressure on yourself and learn to enjoy running. It is a blessing to have the ability to run, especially with a team that loves and supports you like family. Joining the XC and track team at Emerald is like joining a family and building relationships that will last a lifetime.
- Will you be competing in college? I will not be competing in college but I do plan to start an intramural running club at Anderson University.
- Is there anyone you would like to thank from your time at Emerald? I would like to thank all of my teachers who supported me and accommodated for my athletic schedule. More specifically, I would like to thank Coach Payne and Coach Schwendemann. They truly felt like parents away from home that I could always come to for guidance. In addition to being responsible for my success as an Emerald athlete, they were also responsible for furthering my success in all aspects of life.
Coach David Payne on Jo Beth: Jo has been a valued and vital member of our teams. She has cultivated and maintained a family atmosphere for the XC and track teams. She has been my go-to athlete for helping to introduce new athletes to our team. She has made these new athletes feel comfortable and important. While her time at Emerald has come to an end, her influence on our teams will be felt for years to come.