PATRICK SMATHERS – Cross Country, Track
- What are your plans for 2020-21? I’m going to Clemson this fall to study Computer Science
- What is your favorite memory from your time as an Emerald athlete? Being a part of a team that works hard but has a lot of fun too … best parts of junior and senior year.
- Individual Awards: This year in cross country, I was happy to get the coach’s award and the academic award.
- Will you be competing in college? I won’t be competing in college but I want to keep running on my own and with friends or people I meet.
- Is there anyone you would like to thank from your time at Emerald? I want to thank my teachers for making my classes fun and interesting; my coaches for pushing us to work hard and do our best in the sport and for everything else they do for us; and I want to thank my friends that helped make high school fun and those that encouraged me to join cross country and stick with it … some of my best times in high school.
Coach David Payne on Patrick: Patrick [affectionately called Peter James] has been a welcome addition to our teams the last two seasons. He is a source of optimism and encouragement for teammates, teachers, and coaches. Finally, I want to thank him for helping me set up our automatic timing system before our home track meets. He taught me so much by prompting me to “turn it off and on again” to fix any technical issues.