GRACE DAVIS – Volleyball, Cross Country, Track & Field
- What are your plans for 2020-21? I am attending the University of South Carolina in the fall. I am majoring in pharmaceutical sciences with the intent to get my pharmacy doctorate afterwards. I also plan to rush and play some intramural sports!
- What is your favorite memory from your time as an Emerald athlete? My favorite memory was the 2019 All-County cross country race. Hosted at Connie Max, the Emerald cross country team pulled together to transform the race into a pink/blue-out for those battling cancer. We had many volunteers from the Interact Club and our own athletes to form a bake sale and decorate the farm. Coach Payne was (and is) so awesome that he purchased tape and spray paint to decorate the start and finish lines. He also reached out to the other schools to encourage their athletes to wear pink or blue accessories and they actually did! Me, Campbell, and JoBeth made some pink/blue socks and bracelets for our team as well. Despite all this, my favorite part was having Coach Tommie start our race. It was an overall great day and I saw how generous and sweet the people in our county are.
- Team Highlights: The Girls Cross country team won the 3A region and was able to compete at state in 2019.
- Individual Awards: In volleyball, I was awarded 3-AAA All-Region in 2019 and defensive MVP in 2017, 2018, and 2019. In cross country I was All-County and 3-AAAA All-Region in 2019.
- What is your advice for the teammates who will play on your team next season? In volleyball I would encourage the returning girls to build fellowship and friendship together. Teamwork is extremely important and I feel that we never really worked together until my senior year. I hope and wish that the new spirit of teamwork I felt last year continues!
- Will you be competing in college? No. I am excited to explore other sports and activities at USC!
- Is there anyone you would like to thank from your time at Emerald? I would like to thank all of the coaches I experienced. Each one taught me so much about sports and life. I will cherish all the memories I shared with them and the team forever. It is hard to put into words how special Coach Jones, Coach Payne, Coach Schwendemann, Coach Harrison, and Coach Leopard are! I would also like to thank Mrs. Munns for being the volleyball team’s biggest supporter. It meant the world to see and hear her cheering at almost all the games!
Coach David Payne on Grace: What makes Grace an outstanding athlete is that she is not afraid to fail. She thrives in difficult and challenging scenarios. If there is a pressure-filled moment, she wants to be the person her coach looks to for leadership. If she were in the military, Grace would be a flag-bearer. She charges into the fray and invites her teammates to join her.