Get ready for a lot of twos … for two consecutive years, Emerald wrestling has taken 6 athletes to the State Finals. For two consecutive years, Emerald wrestling has crowned two State Champions. The champions last season were seniors Luke Newton and Conner Pirkle. This year found Jacob Callahan and Noah Moore at the top of the podium. Jacob and Noah graciously reflected upon their recent State Finals victories.
- What was the toughest challenge you faced this season? Mental obstacles were my hardest challenge … overcoming my lack of confidence on the mat. Once I got past that I performed like never before.
- What motivated you this most this season? It was my senior year. I have wrestled for half my life and it’s been my life for so long. Not succeeding like I wanted the past few years really added to that. I desperately wanted that state title.
- What part of the season prepared you the most for your state title match? Improving my cardio and my technique. Pushing myself to limits during practice. It’s funny because the week prior to state I was thinking to myself I need to make sure my cardio is on point because I might need it. Turns out I needed it in fourth overtime in the finals. Also my coach was getting me to drill a certain move from neutral that I’m known to hit. In the finals match, the move I drilled in practice all week came in clutch in my finals match because I scored with that move.
- What was the first thing that crossed your mind after winning a state title? I need a nap. I was brutally exhausted. Wrestling a live match for 15 minutes with a guy that wants to win just as bad as you really makes you tired.
- What was the toughest challenge you faced this season? Nervousness and worrying. Before every match I would get really nervous and worry so much about who I was wrestling and how good he was.
- What motivated you the most this season? The fact that I did not make it to state last year and I did not want that to happen again.
- What part of the season prepared you the most for your state title match? Towards the middle and end of the season working with my brother at practice and him helping me study my opponent.
- What was the first thing that crossed your mind after winning a state title? I did it … finally the hard work and dedication paid off.