On Monday (9/26), the Emerald Girls’ Tennis team had a convincing victory over region opponent Berea. Singles victories from Gabby Larsen, Emma Strong, Chloe Cox, and Kierdyn Davis and a doubles victory from Rachel Peeler and Landyn Johnson secured a 5-2 match score. CLICK HERE for photos from the match.
We interviewed Rachel Peeler and Emma Strong to get their views on the season and today’s match against Greenwood High.
- How long have you been playing tennis?
- Emma – This is my third year playing tennis. I’ve been playing since my ninth grade year.
- Rachel – I have been playing tennis for about 2 months.
- Do you do any other sports?
- Emma – I used to play soccer but I can no longer play contact sports. I’m planning to run track this spring.
- Rachel – I do not play other sports, but I used to play softball.
- What is your favorite part of playing tennis?
- Emma – My favorite part of playing tennis is getting to see the girls and being able to help them improve how they are playing.
- Rachel – My favorite part of playing tennis is spending time with my teammates. They are a great group of girls and are always fun to be around. When a person get discouraged everyone pitches in to help them out and lift their spirits.
- Do you have any pre-match routines?
- Emma – No we don’t have any pre-match routines, yet.
- Rachel – The only pre-match routines I have are to warm up and get hydrated.
- How do you feel about playing Greenwood High at home this Friday?
- Emma – Although Greenwood High is very skilled at tennis I feel very confident about playing against them because I know that I give it my 100%.
- Rachel – When we played Greenwood High last Friday I think that we gave them a good match and that we learned from it what things we need to work on. I think that we can give them a good match on Friday.
- What unique attribute do you contribute to your team?
- Emma – My teammates have called me their coach because they’ve said that I’ve helped them improve throughout the tennis season.
- Rachel – I think that I am a solid, dependable player.
Come out to the Greenwood Country Club this afternoon at 4:30 pm and support your Lady Vikings as they take on the Greenwood Lady Eagles.